Apologies for the lack of weekly blog, I’ve been lazy with it over the past couple of weeks, but it will be back up and running next week!
CRBF, with the help of Baker McKenzie, hosted a breakfast on Wednesday morning to hear from professors from the Garvan Institute of Medical Research about exciting developments in personalised therapeutics for rare cancers. This was a fantastic morning where the professors (Angela Hong, Maya Kansara, David Thomas & Dr Norman Swan) spoke about the incredible research they were involved in and the exciting progress they’ve made as a result of CRBF support. There was so much to be excited for, but please shoot me a message or get in contact personally if you want to know more as I can’t properly express it over this blog!
I was also able to speak about my journey so far and hopefully gained some traction for more donations to my effort (now sitting at $7,800 including the first fundraiser event!). We’ve also got some exciting news about upcoming fundraising events so stay tuned! Any and all donations are welcome at https://donorbox.org/jack-s-ironman-for-sarcoma !
Also this week, I had my second Skype session with conditioning coach Hamish about changes to my current training program. The main things to focus on in the coming 5-6 weeks of training will be:
- Getting more km’s on the bike (ideally up to 75% or so of the 180km race distance)
- Improving my body position on the bike to reduce my drag
- Incorporating “Brick” sessions into my routine
- Brick sessions are where I practice the transition from swimming to cycling, or cycling to running. My new Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday sessions are examples
- With the runs, they’re going really well, but need to keep switching up the course I’m running so I have to continually adapt.
- Lose a bit more weight, having plateaued a bit at 91.5/92kgs. Losing these extra weight will be a massive help for the run in particular.
The upcoming 4 or so weeks of training now looks like this:
|Tuesday||REST||Swim 2km-ish into 10km Run (5:00 pace easy)|
|Wednesday||10km Run (4:30min/km pace)||1hr 45mins indoor cycle w/2 x 20 min 155bpm|
|Thursday||REST||Swim 2km-ish into 1hr 45mins indoor cycle w/3 x 15min 155-160bpm|
|Friday||REST||10km Run (5:00min/km pace) – reverse loop
|Saturday||4-5 hour cycle
(Looking to get up to the 120-150km range soon)
|Sunday||REST||– 2hr 40min (30km or so) @ 5:10 pace (every third week)
– 1hr 30min cycle into 30/60/75/90min jog (every other week)
Anyway, that’ll do me for this week’s blog. I may keep it in this shorter format going forward with just the important updates, let me know if you’d prefer it one way or another.
As always, please tell your family and friends about this fundraising effort and get in touch if you have any questions